We are delighted to be returning to the Liverpool Empire Theatre next year, where we will be staging Jerry Herman’s all-singing & dancing musical extravaganza, ‘HELLO, DOLLY’!
We will be holding open auditions for principal roles in this show on Sunday 25th November at 10am, in BOST HQ.
Below are the character descriptions for these principal roles:
● Dolly Levi: Vocal range: D3 to G4 or G3 to C5. Dance ability: some.
She is a widow in her “middle years,” a life-loving woman and a meddling matchmaker. She is a strong character with commanding presence, but she must also show compassion and vulnerability.
● Horace Vandergelder: Stage age: 40-60. Vocal range: Baritone B3 to G5.
He is the “well-known half a millionaire”, strong and gruff, but must also show a vulnerable, softer side. He and Dolly must have a wonderful ‘stage chemistry’. He is the owner of a Hay and Feed store and a client of Dolly’s.
● Irene Molloy: Stage age: 30-35. Vocal range: Mezzo A3 to F5. Dance ability: strong.
A classy lady, beautiful, smart, fun-loving.
● Minnie Fay: Stage age: 20s. Vocal range: Alto/soprano C4 to F5. Dance ability: strong.
Irene’s assistant, naïve, straight-laced, fresh, a follower.
● Cornelius Hackl: Vocal range: Bari-tenor Bb3 to G5. Dance ability: strong.
33-year-old head clerk at the Feed Store, energetic, enthusiastic, and adventurous.
● Barnaby Tucker: Stage age: 20s. Vocal range: Bari-tenor C4 to G5. Dance ability: strong.
An assistant to Cornelius. He is fun loving and naïve as ever. His boyish innocence must come through.
● Ambrose Kemper: Stage age: 20-30. Vocal range: Bari-tenor D4 G#5. Dance ability: strong.
A young, energetic artist who wants Vandergelder’s permission to marry his niece, Ermengarde.
● Ermengarde: Stage age: 17. No solo singing.
Vandergelder’s niece who is very dramatic and often cries noisily. She is a strong dancer who wants to marry Ambrose Kemper.
● Ernestina: Stage age: 30-60. Vocal range: any.
Eccentric-looking woman. A robust personality is required.
● Rudolph Reisenweber: Stage age: 40-60. Vocal range: Bass.
Dance ability: some. He is the Harmonia Gardens’ Prussian major-domo. A strong character role that requires an accent.
● Judge: White-whiskered, red-nosed, New York night-court judge.
[Note: In referencing vocal range, C4 is Middle C on the keyboard.]
‘Hello Dolly’ will be performed at the Liverpool Empire Theatre from May 16th-18th 2019.
Principal rehearsals will most likely be every Tuesday night, plus some Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons nearer the time of the show.